We have good news for golf at Riverside Golf Course. Governor Mills announced on Tuesday April 28, 2020 that golf courses will be able to open with restrictions under the first phase of reopening the State starting May 1, 2020. The City of Portland has approved Riverside Golf Course to open for golf starting Tuesday May 5, 2020 to walking only. We will be following the restrictions and guidelines outlined by the State of Maine and the City of Portland.
Please Note the Following Changes:
- Tee time intervals will be every 15 minutes for both courses.
- The South Course will now be using tee times.
- No walk-ins will be allowed at either course during this time to eliminate congregating at the course.
Below we have outlined the new guidelines that we will be implementing and following as we open. Tee time bookings will open up on line starting Friday May 1, 2020 with the first day to book being Tuesday May 5, 2020.
We are excited to open, however we want to stress the importance of safety for our staff and customers. In order to remain open, everyone must continuing social distancing, wear cloth face coverings in public settings where physical distancing measures are difficult to maintain.. To ensure the safety of our customers staff will follow CDC and state protocols. Staff will be wearing face coverings when interacting with customers, wearing gloves and following the social distancing recommendation (6 feet).
The new guidelines we have put into place may change daily to align with the City of Portland and the Maine CDC recommendations. Any new guidelines or information will be communicated as updates to the rules and restrictions when they become available.
As a sport that prides itself on playing by the rules, following the rules of social distancing in golf are of the utmost importance today.
Rules and Restrictions:
- Follow proper social distancing protocol at all times, remaining at least 6 feet from players and golf course staff at all times.
- Players to wear cloth face coverings when talking with staff or when unable to maintain physical distancing including during course of play. Violators of this rule may be subject to penalty including suspension or being asked to leave the course.
- Only players who live in Cumberland County may golf at Riverside per State of Maine Executive Order. Out-of-State golfers may play golf once they have satisfied the 14 day quarantine requirement as outlined in the Maine Executive Order.
- Only the golf course itself will remain open. The entire clubhouse is closed, including the Pro Shop, restaurant, bag storage, bathrooms and locker rooms.
- Tee times will be 15-minute intervals.
- All reservations must be booked online or over the phone. All tee times must be paid for in advance over the phone. No cash transactions. We are in the process of setting up online payments.
- NO walk-ins on either course will be accepted during the State’s Stage 1 Opening.
- SOUTH COURSE will only accept TEE TIMES, booked and paid in advance
- All players must remain in their vehicles until 10 minutes before tee time.
- No trashcans will be available on the course- Carry in / Carry out policy is in effect.
- No benches, ball washers, bunker rakes, tee markers will be on the course.
- At the end of play players must leave the golf course and proceed immediately to their car. No congregating outside of the pro shop, on the course or in the parking lot. Violators of this rule may be subject to penalty including suspension or being asked to leave the course.
- No rental clubs or push carts will be available.
- All players will be required to have their own set of clubs.
- Practice areas will be closed, including practice greens.
- Do not pick up any loose or used equipment that does not belong to you, including stray balls that may be found or tees left behind by other players. Please notify staff if clubs are left on the course and they will be retrieved.
- Refrain from the customary handshake that usually occurs at the end of the round
- Holes will be raised 1-2” above the surface of the green, touching any flagstick is prohibited. If your putt, chip or approach hits the raised cup and remains a putter-length (36″ or less) from the hole it will count as in.
- Bunker play will be permitted to use preferred lies, if your ball lies in a bunker you will be permitted to lift, clean, and place withinthe bunker. Please use your foot or club to smooth out the sand after hitting your shot.
- Once carts are allowed, one-person-per-cart policy will apply. Players will be directed to the cart return, players to remove all personal belongings and trash from the cart.
- No outside alcohol is allowed on the course.
- As an additional reminder, if you have a fever, cough, are having any shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, or any other symptoms of an illness, you should remain home.
Please note: Guidelines as of April 30, 2020. This document will be updated as rules change.